Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Daddy ~ Listened ~ Obeyed ~ Preached

This morning as I sat in the worship service, I chocked back tears.  I am always amazed at the waves of emotion that wash over me when I am not expecting them.  I let myself reflect on a story my daddy told me of his obedience to the Holy Spirit some years ago.

Dad always began preparation for the Sunday School lesson on Monday evening.  He would study each evening thereafter, and arise early on Sunday to review his notes one more time.   One week while studying, he felt strongly impressed to read and study Romans 12.  So in addition to the weekly lesson he poured over this passage of scripture ~ not knowing why.

Sunday morning came, dad taught his class and then found his way to the sanctuary. The service started, the music was sung, the plate was passed and no preacher was present.  The church was without a pastor and they were waiting on the guest preacher to arrive.  It became evident he wasn't going to make it to the service.  

From the pulpit my dad heard these words, "Brother Bill, would you come and share a word with us."  In that very moment, my dad knew why he had felt impressed to study Romans 12.  As he stood behind the pulpit, he saw an older man bow his head and pray.  Dad knew he was praying for him.

An invitation was given at the end of the service and a man prayed to receive Christ as his Lord and Savior. 

This morning, our pastor was too sick to attend church and two staff members were "ready" to step in and "share a word with us."  Thus, the cause for reflection and tears.  

II Timothy 3:16-17 comes to mind, "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."  

My dad was a man who understood and lived this verse.  Therefore,

He 
Listened
He
Obeyed
He 
Preached

Thank you dad, for living a life that reflected the Word of God.  Truly, you were a man after God's own heart.  I love you forever and always.

(c) Faith Builder














No comments:

Post a Comment